Thursday, November 5, 2009

The 13

Today I saw a beautiful black baby boy on the bus and I thought so many things.
What will your life become?

How much tragedy you could bring?

By looking at your mother
I knew you never had a chance
She had vengeful regret stains caked around her mouth.
Eyes with complacency filled bags.

Your nose it was runny
White crust around your eyes as if you had been crying.
Where you crying lil man?
And if so what was it about.
It shouldn't have been worrisome because your physical age is only 4.
But it was, cause to your mother your age is so much more.
Your the age that she was when she noticed her surroundings.
And began to walk in the path of her mother, as if when she was born the doctor exclaimed
"Teenage pregnancy, let the circle be unbroken"

Multiply that by the number of times you've been taught your neighborhood gang sign
Subtract the number of times you've seen father
And then your age becomes equal than or less than your mothers.

Lil man, I could rewrite the bible with the story of your life.
It would tell how you were born on what seemed an average night.
Another ghetto black boy born is never a spectacular sight.
But it is to me.

Lil man, I wish I could turn back the hands of time and show you your history.
It's a powerful thing to know your a direct descendant of kings.
It would teach you pride, hope, morals amongst other things.
Teach you that it's never cool to make a woman cry, how you should live your life with honor and go respectfully when you die.
Teach that the alternate high to weed is self-esteem
And that when you truly love yourself than you grow to respect all living things.

Lil man, I would if I could, but I can't cause this is my stop.
But the real ride is just beginning for you and I wish you the best of luck.

And I know you can be anything you set your mind to.
Teacher, lover, lawyer, friend, gang banger, baby daddy, drugdealer kingpin.
This world will pull you many so ways, have your mother grieving for days.
Getting to the point where I ponder having children cause I don't ever wanna feel that pain.
So remember all that was exchanged in this ten second glance, and don't forget yourself when your out there taking chances.
Don't let your life become as tragic as the songs Billie holiday used to sing.
You smile a sweet childish smile as my stop approaches and the bell rings.
As if to say, "don't worry about me sis, I'm goin be okay."
Today I saw a beautiful black baby boy and I thought so many things.

2 comments:

Alliαnα Pεrsαud said...

Your poems are beautiful... did you write them yourself?

nianicole said...

yeah everythings mine...thx!